The first impact report serves as a baseline to provide insights into the work of the cooperative and the farmers, and identifies the challenges they are facing. We aim to provide a picture of what cocoa farming looks like today, and highlight potential areas of opportunities that can enable a long-term partnership between the stakeholders involved in the supply chain.
ALDI’s direct and long-term engagement with Fairtrade contributes to responsible cocoa farming in Côte d'Ivoire and makes ECAMOM a more resilient and inclusive cooperative. These actions illustrate the shared vision of Fairtrade Deutschland and the ALDI SOUTH Group and enable trade on a level playing field.
This collaboration will support the economic empowerment of farmers through Fairtrade sales, farm renovations, women’s empowerment and environmental awareness. It highlights our acknowledgment that fair value distribution, particularly to smallholder farmers, is important as it outlines our support for a more sustainable cocoa production.
Key achievements were
- The cooperatives invested in a variety of different farming measures at cooperative and farm level to improve productivity and quality of cocoa production, such as improvements in infrastructure for cocoa processing.
- First strategic steps towards Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) implementation and soil fertility managements were conducted.
- ECAMOM has a system for tracing all sales transactions and notifying farmers, which can provide an additional link between Fairtrade sales and farmers’ income.
|Capacity building and democracy
- Eleven trainings with a total of 2,086 participants took place, which included topics such as women’s empowerment, children’s rights or human rights.
|Social and environmental justice
- The cooperative will put more emphasis on gender equality.
- The report showed that there is both a child protection system and a general awareness of human rights among farmers.
- GPS mapping is advanced and all farm plots have been mapped.