ALDI SOUTH and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals
On 1 January 2016, the United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) came into force. The goals which all member states committed to include: elimination of poverty and hunger, achievement of gender equality, empowerment of women and girls to lead self-determined lives, creation of peaceful, fair, and just societies, and the promotion of environmental protection and the sustainable use of natural resources by 2030.
Companies are requested to be involved in the implementation of these global goals. We at ALDI SOUTH are aware of our responsibility as one of the most successful retailers in the world. Our international structure, our market position, our decades of experience, and the daily commitment shown by our more than 100,000 employees provide us with the potential to make important contributions to more sustainable development.
In future, we will consider the Sustainable Development Goals to a greater extent in order to identify relevant topics and determine priorities. Today, we already promote the achievement of these global goals by engaging in initiatives and implementing a range of sustainability policies. Several examples are provided below.
Examples of ALDI SOUTH's contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals
Goal 2: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Using resources responsibly
- Collaborating with charitable organisations to avoid food waste
- Engaging in partnerships with non-governmental organizations (e.g. ALDI SOUTH in Germany and Transfair (German); Hofer Austria and the Austrian Development Agency (German); ALDI UK and Farm Africa; ALDI US and Sustainable Fisheries Partnership)
Goal 3: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Offering product alternatives for special nutritional needs
- Improving the nutritional values and ingredients of food products
- Engaging in partnerships with charitable organisations that are committed to improving the health and well-being of youth (e.g. ALDI US and Action for Healthy Kids)
Goal 5: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- We do not tolerate any form of discrimination (CR Principles; ALDI “Social Standards in Production”)
- Helping production facilities in Bangladesh to enhance their social performance (ALDI Factory Advancement Project)
- In every national organisation within the ALDI SOUTH Group, men and women working in the same position receive the same remuneration.
Goal 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Detox Commitment: With a voluntary commitment, we reaffirm our corporate responsibility for people and the environment in the area of textiles and footwear production.
- Engaging in partnerships with charitable organisations that are committed to improving sanitation (e.g. ALDI Australia and One Voice)
Goal 8: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- The ALDI SOUTH Group of Companies conducts its business according to the principle of corporate responsibility (CR Principles). Simplicity and responsibility are core values of ALDI SOUTH. Our business model is simple: great quality at the best price, fair and honest product offers, and efficient business processes. In all we do, we assume responsibility towards our customers, business partners, employees, the community, and the environment.
Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Facilitating responsible shopping
- Promoting regional food products
- Using resources responsibly
- Safeguarding social and environmental standards in the supply chain
- International Corporate Responsibility Report 2015
- National Corporate Responsibility websites (in national languages): ALDI SOUTH in Germany; Hofer Austria; ALDI SUISSE; Hofer Slovenia; ALDI Hungary; ALDI UK; ALDI Ireland; ALDI US; ALDI AUS
Goal 13: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
Goal 14: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Increasing the sustainability level of our fish and seafood product range
- Engaging in partnerships with non-governmental organizations (e.g. ALDI US and Sustainable Fisheries Partnership)