|Net sales in billion Euro||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||59|
Number of stores
|Number of stores||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||5,902||6,225||6,510|
Number of distribution centres
|Number of distribution centres||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||85||87||88|
Number of employees
|Number of employees||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||150,609||156,899|
Respecting Human Rights
Social Monitoring Programme (SMP)
To be able to monitor compliance with our social and environmental standards and to continue to foster these together with our business partners, we have developed and implemented our Social Monitoring Programme (SMP). On-site audits performed by independent experts are a key component of the programme. Since 2018, all high-risk non-food commodity groups of the ALDI SOUTH Group, including garment and household textiles, are integrated into our Social Monitoring Programme.
- All high-risk non-food commodities are integrated within the Social Monitoring Programme.
- All main production facilities used for non-food items, which have been integrated within the Social Monitoring Programme, are to possess a valid social audit report or certificate accepted by the ALDI SOUTH Group.
|Percentage of non-food production facilities with a valid social audit report||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||100||100||100|
ALDI Social Assessments (ASAs)
ALDI Social Assessments (ASA) are assessments of main production facilities that are carried out by ALDI employees together with external auditors and business partner representatives. These ASAs mainly take place in amfori BSCI risk countries.
- Assess the situation in the production facilities to complement third party audits.
- Assess and collect information on the business partners responsible for the production facility.
|Number of ALDI Social Assessments (ASAs) conducted||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||302||388||343|
Our Goal: We are committed to sourcing 100% of our shell eggs from cage-free supply chains by 2025.
|Percentage of cage-free shell eggs||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||42||46||46|
The sales of cage-free shell eggs increased across the ALDI SOUTH Group between 2018 and 2019. Due to the overall increase of sales in shell eggs however, the share of cage-free shell eggs remains at 46 % for the year 2019.
Our Goal: All cocoa used in relevant own-brand products will be from certified sources by the end of 2020.
|Percentage of products containing certified cocoa||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||83||86||88|
We require the cocoa used for our own-brand products to be certified according to one of the following standards:
- Fairtrade/Fairtrade Sourced Ingredients
- UTZ/Rainforest Alliance
The indicator is based on all chocolates, biscuits, and seasonal confectionary as well as products from other commodity groups which contain at least 10% cocoa (exception ALDI US: chocolates and seasonal confectionary commodity groups; at least 40% cocoa), such as baking chocolate and drinking chocolate.
Our Goal: The percentage of sustainable coffee is to be steadily increased.
|Percentage of sustainable coffee tonnage||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||47||56||55|
We require coffee to be certified according to one of the following standards:
- UTZ/Rainforest Alliance
Our Goal: We will use 100% sustainable cotton for our own-brand garments and household textiles by 2025.
|Percentage of sustainble cotton tonnage||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||21||25|
We require the cotton used for our own-brand products to be of either recycled origin or certified according to one of the following internationally recognised sustainability standards:
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
- Organic Content Standard (OCS) 100/blended
- Cotton made in Africa (CmiA)
- Better Cotton Initiative (BCI)
|Number of Fairtrade certified products (including Fairtrade-sourced ingredients)||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||334||686|
Fish & Seafood
Our Goal: All products included in our fish and seafood range will be responsibly sourced by the end of 2020.
|Percentage of responsibly sourced fish and seafood||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||82||88||89|
Our criteria for the responsible sourcing of fish:
- Certification in accordance with one of our recognised standards (Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), Aquaculture Stewardship Council (ASC), Organic, GlobalG.A.P., Best Aquaculture Practices (BAP) and further by Global Sustainable Seafood Initiative (GSSI) recognised standards), or
- World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) or Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) rating shows a low or medium risk, or
- the raw material originates from a fishery participating in an Fishery Improvement Project (FIP) or Aquaculture Improvement Project (AIP).
Additional criteria for tuna: the processor/trader is a member of the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (ISSF) or the fishing vessel is registered within the ProActive Vessel Register (PVR).
Our Goal: All wood-based own-brand non-food products are to be produced from recycled or certified raw materials by 2020.
|Percentage certified/recycled own-brand products||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||71||71||79|
Relevant products include core range, special, and seasonal non-food products with wood fibre-based component(s), including wood fibre-based cellulose and pulp. (Exception ALDI US: relevant products include core range products with wood fibre-based components and all paper products.)
Palm (Kernel) Oil
Our Goal: All palm (kernel) oil and palm (kernel) oil-based derivatives and fractions used in our own-brand products are certified.
|Percentage of certified palm (kernel) oil in our own-brand products||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||71||100||100|
The indicator is based on the total amount of palm oil used in all of our food and non-food products and derived from the physical supply chain options ‘Identity Preserved’ (IP), ‘Segregated’ (SG), or ‘Mass Balance’ (MB) as defined by the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO). In case the necessary derivative or fraction for non-food products are not yet available as physical, respective volumes may be covered by RSPO Credits as an interim solution until their physical supply is secured, latest until the end of 2025.
Our Goal: All textile business partners receive a Corporate Responsibility (CR) evaluation and respective training.
|Percentage of textile business partners integrated into the CR Supplier Evaluation Program (CRSE)||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||100||100||100|
Protecting the Environment
- We aim to reduce our overall operational GHG emissions by 26% by the end of 2025 (against baseline year 2016).
- We are committed to encouraging our strategic suppliers, which are responsible for 75% of product related emissions, to work towards setting science-based emissions targets by the end of 2024.
|Company Carbon Footprint in kg of CO2e per m2 of sales floor by country/country group (change compared to the base year 2012 in %)||2016||2018||2019|
|Germany||120||57 (- 73%)||56 (-73%)|
|HOFER S/E||89||68 (- 67%)||71 (-66%)|
|USA||561||240 (- 55%)||198 (-63%)|
|United Kingdom/Ireland||178||162 (- 55%)||154 (-57%)|
|Australia||735||564 (- 33%)||522 (-38%)|
Our Goal: Since 2015, we are working on phasing out or replacing hazardous chemicals used in the manufacturing processes for both textiles and shoes with safer alternatives.
Production facilities have incorporated the ALDI MRSL/RSL & elimination strategy
Wet production facilities submitted a valid discharge analysis
Production facilities with valid Chemical Management Audit (CMA)
Tanneries used held valid Leather Working Group (LWG) certificates
- All wood and paper-based components contained in the product packaging of our ALDI own-brand core range food and non-food products are to be produced from certified raw materials or recycled materials by the end of 2020.
- The total weight of our ALDI own-brand product packaging shall be reduced by 15% in relation to sales by the end of 2025. Suppliers have to ensure that a minimum amount of material is used without compromising the product safety.
- All ALDI own-brand product packaging have to be recyclable, compostable or reusable latest by the end of 2025.
Additionally to our international goals highlighted above, some of our national organisations have even more ambitious targets on weight reduction and recyclability in place.
|Percentage of products with certified/recycled packaging||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||37||53|
The indicator is based on all core range products with wood and paper-based product packaging. The percentage specified refers to all products which are certified according to FSC, PEFC, or SFI or which contain a minimum of 70% recycled material.
Our goal: We aim to replace all refrigerants with a Global Warming Potential (GWP) of more than 2,200 by an alternative refrigerant with a lower GWP by 2025.
|Percentage of stores with medium-temperature refrigeration systems (coolers/chillers) using a refrigerant with a GWP < 2,200||2017||2018||2019|
|ALDI SOUTH Group||75||82||87|
Sustainable Development Goals
Support and respect the protection of human rights
Not complicit in human rights abuses
Uphold freedom of association and recognition of right to collective bargaining
Elimination of forced and compulsory labour
Abolition of child labour
Elimination of discrimination in respect of employment and occupation
Precautionary approach to environmental challenges
Promote environmental responsibility
Development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies